- This event has passed.
Earth Day Cleanup at East Nelson Shoreline
April 22, 2022 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
Join Friends of Kootenay Lake this Earth Day to clean up East Nelson Shorelines!
We will be splitting up volunteers into two groups and tackling two different locations: the shoreline in front of RCMP office and the Old Kootenay Forest Products Site near John’s Walk.
More info & registration here: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/foklss-earth-day-cleanup-along-east-nelson-shorelines-tickets-320343625407
About this event
Old Kootenay Forest Products Site*:
This site contains a lot of heavy scrap metal, an old boat wreck and sharp objects, which pose potentials risks to our volunteers. To ensure the safety of you and others, you must wear the following items if you wish to help clean up this site:
- Safety glass (we will provide)
- High vis-vest (we will provide)
- Highly protective work gloves (you must provide but we will have extra)
- Safety boots (you must provide)
- Hard hat (you must provide but we will have extra)
Shoreline in front of RCMP Office:
The shoreline in front of the RCMP office is low risk and anyone is welcome to volunteer. We will provide buckets and other cleanup equipment needed, but we recommend bringing the following:
- Shovel (optional)
- Rake (optional)
- Bucket (there will be extra buckets)
- Gardening/work gloves (there will be extra used gloves provided)
- Comfortable and weather appropriate clothing
- Trash pickers if you have a sore back
- Gumboots for muddy areas
- Food and water