01 May We’re Hiring an Environmental Outreach Coordinator!
Environmental Outreach Coordinator
Terms of Employment: Full time – 35 hours per week
Wage: $20/hour to start
Location: Flexible within the Kootenay Lake Area, British Columbia. Must be available to be in the office in Nelson at least 2 days a week and to attend/manage outreach events in the surrounding area.
Start date: June or July 2023
The Environmental Outreach Coordinator will support education and outreach, social media management, donor engagement, administrative tasks, and primary projects. The Environmental Outreach Coordinator will ensure that Kootenay Lake residents are kept up to date on all projects and programs happening around the lake, assist with monitoring, and coordinate engaging virtual educational programs for lake residents including K-12 students in School District 8.
The position requires the Environmental Outreach Coordinator to have access to a home office space, a computer, a phone, and a reliable vehicle. The applicant must be able to work flexible hours (evenings and weekends, when needed).
The Friends of Kootenay Lake Stewardship Society Environmental Outreach Coordinator will carry out the following activities to support the Friends of Kootenay Lake team and the success of the organization:
- Manage Friends of Kootenay Lake’s communications including social media (Facebook, Instagram, YouTube), website, and monthly e-newsletter
- Represent FoKLSS at public events, markets, and festivals
- Manage and recruit volunteers by building relationships, assigning individuals to jobs, and developing committees to support events
- Lead and manage community events including Polar Bear Swim, Kootenay Lake Summit, and beach cleanups
- Occasionally support the Stewardship Coordinator with project implementation and monitoring
- Manage community fundraising program by recruiting and retaining members, monthly givers, and sponsorships with local businesses
- Assist with writing sponsorship and grant applications.
- Support the development of relevant stewardship projects (e.g., water quality monitoring, control of invasive species, habitat restoration, wildlife monitoring etc.).
- Support and liaise with partner organizations.
- Implement a working donor database
Education: Have obtained or are currently pursuing a diploma or degree in environmental sciences or a related field.
Experience: Candidates must have a minimum 1-year of experience working in an environmental or related field. Preference will be given to candidates with skills in social media management and documented experience in community engagement and outreach, facilitation, water stewardship, local knowledge.
- Strong communication and engagement skills including public speaking, report writing, note taking, professional use of email, and the coordination of groups at events or field days.
- Excellent verbal and written English language skills.
- Experience using engagement tools such as Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, WordPress, Eventbrite, and Mailchimp to promote events and share information.
- Experience with fundraising and donor retention
- Experience working with children. (Exp running education programs would be an asset).
- Excellent data collection skills with experience using mobile data collection software.
- Capable of completing assigned tasks on time and with minimal supervision.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, solving problems as they arise.
- Class 5 driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle.
- Experience with graphic design or aesthetic formatting using Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Canva, InDesign, Photoshop etc.
- Criminal record check
- Occupational First Aid Level 1
Please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com by May 26, 2023 at 4:00pm.